Full course description
Part 1 - Wednesday 21st September 2022 – 9:30am – 1:30pm
Part 2 – Thursday 22nd September 2022 – 9:30am – 1:30pm
£140 per person
Lead trainer: Natasha Wilson
• This course gives participants an understanding of what true person-centred dementia care is and practical ways to embed it in various areas and settings.
• Participants will hear from Experts by Experience about their own diagnosis and how it impacts them.
• Understand the different types of dementia and how they each impact upon individuals in a unique way.
• Develop knowledge and understanding about the emotional and social needs of people living with dementia and how to support these practically. This is explored using Tom Kitwood’s flower of psychosocial needs and the enriched model of care.
• Understand and be able to challenge the stigmas around dementia which can negatively impact on people’s ability to live well with dementia.
• Understand a range of positive and effective communication strategies and how to apply these. This learning can be further developed by undertaking our “It’s not what you say, it’s the way that you say it” course.
• Understand how the physical environment can impact a person living with dementia and strategies that can be used to modify and enhance the environment.
• Identify some of the common physical health needs of people living with dementia and how these can be supported.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will receive an e-certificate for their CPD records.